Saturday, August 18, 2007

First Birth!

On Friday, August 17, I attended my first birth. It was beautiful and the baby was beautiful and mom and dad were elated and joyful. I am so grateful that they welcomed me with open arms into the most beautiful moment of their life.



I met a nurse midwife at the hospital who talked to me about her career and I feel inspired now to pursue a career as a nurse midwife. It is an amazing thing to watch a family grow with the arrival of a child. It is a beautiful thing to listen as new parents call their own parents and grandparents to share the joyous news that a new member of the family has arrived. I feel honored that this family would let me be there, would let me rub a shoulder or take a picture of a new dad meeting his child for the first time. I look forward to the hard work ahead. I have found my place in this world.



The resident who attended the birth said that it was the most joyful birth she had ever attended and that the mom was the perkiest mom she had ever met. She then added, "...but, I guess that this is also the first doula birth I've ever attended." What a compliment! What an affirmation! Mom and dad were wonderful so I can only take a portion of the credit but I will treasure those words as I move forward in my career.



I have permission to post a picture of my first birth so please meet the little one.

2 comments:

teresa said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you, and glad that your first birth was such a wonderful one.

Uccellina said...

Congratulations! I am very proud of you.