Friday, August 3, 2007

One blog post a month? Does that even count as a blog? In an effort to be more “blogworthy” (is that a word?) I promise here and now to post to my blog at least once a week. There, I’ve said it, now I have to do it!

Things have been going well for me lately. I have a third doula client and their due date is coming up very soon. I’m excited for my first birth. I know that I’ll be ready when the time comes. I just need to finalize my doula bag and buy a good pair of black scrub pants to wear to the birth. So far, the contents of my doula bag are as follows:

1. Birth Ball with cover (Okay, so this doesn’t actually fit in my doula bag, but it counts!)
2. Two extra Birth Ball covers
3. Birth Ball pump
4. Lavender lotion and lavender oil for massage
5. Hot heart! (this really cool little heart that heats when I snap it)
6. My checklist of positions and techniques (just in case I need a reference)
7. Client notebook
8. Extra socks for clients
9. Extra socks and pants for me
10. Toothbrush, toothpaste, breath mints, deodorant
11. Granola bars and water
12. Scope of practice letter and treats for the nurse’s station so that they will LOVE ME!
13. Shower caps
14. My certification forms

I’m thinking that I still need some calming music, a battery-powered mp3 stereo and a little massage rubber. I know things are going to go well and I’m sure that as I become more experienced, my doula bag will change but for now, I feel comfortable with what I have.

Also, I went on my first hospital tour on Wednesday. I wanted to make sure that I was aware of the hospital layout and such before we went there for the delivery. That way, my family can relax and get comfortable while I figure out where the towels are and how the shower works. The tour was really wonderful and when I told the tour guide that I am a doula getting ready for my first birth, she took me to the nurse’s station to talk to a nurse. The nurses were really wonderful and told me that they really like working with doulas. The nurse that I spoke with was really supportive and even told me that I was in the right field. It was really sweet.

I’ve been thinking more about working on building a business. I would like to be able to leave my full-time job and become a full-time doula. I know that it’s only a matter of time before things are happening so I just have to be patient.

No comments: